MRD Recruitment is delighted to be recruiting a Procurement Specialist on behalf of our Engineering client, who are a global leader in their respective field. Reporting into the Procurement Manager, the Procurement Specialist will be based in Falkirk. This role features a flexible, hybrid working model with 3 days in the office, and 2 from home.
The successful Procurement Specialist, based in Falkirk (with flexible working), will join this exciting business to determine best overall strategy to deliver services under their portfolio. They will negotiate services contracts, including but not limited to price, terms and conditions of purchase with various third party providers. Contracts have to be fit for purpose to satisfy all of the business demands for projects, and turnarounds for all direct and indirect services allocated to the specialist.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- Determine the style of contract that will best deliver the best overall value and delivery outcome for the business.
- Challenge demand and scope specification where they believe that unnecessary costs can be eliminated and more value can be achieved.
- Ensure that all Purchase orders and Contracts are placed in accordance with business designation of authority and working within defined business processes.
- Establish a deep understanding of the market for the services allocated to them and main supplier’s in that market.
- Develop supplier positioning profiles of suppliers under their responsibility, in order to assess business risk and opportunity for the business.
- Experienced in dispute management, claims mitigation, the ability to challenge with rationale and reason cost disputes when they arise. Reducing and mitigating all exposures on contracts that they manage.
- Provide expert advice on construction services risks, including in depth market knowledge both commercial and technical. Use influence to encourage procurement change and engagement across the business where applicable.
- Set out contracts that are fully compliant to support our business needs that are legally binding, that mitigate any and all commercial risk to the business and drive appropriate supplier performance through appropriate KPI’s.
- Identify new potential suppliers, to create additional competitiveness and market tension to their services area of responsibility.
- Contribute positively to the plan for the business regarding organisational change.
- Contribute to deliver agreed department targets.
- Ensure that the commercial management of Contracts and Contractors is carried out fairly and to the highest ethical standards whilst at all times protecting the Business’s commercial/contractual position and enhancing its reputation.
- The job holder must be responsible for taking the lead on major projects as allocated.
- The business has the responsibility and ownership of purchasing for all 3rd Party spend. As such the post holder will require to influence not only the external 3rd parties but also the internal stakeholders.
- From time to time the specialist will be requested to benchmark internally the KPI’s within the contract with the business’s sister site.
- The post holder will have to develop and learn an advanced understanding of business processes, procedures, and assurance, integrity and quality systems with respect to critical engineering services such as Scaffolding, Insulation & Painting, Civils, Mechanical, Electrical and design.
Essential skills, knowledge & behaviours
- Degree Qualified or equivalent chartered membership in a related procurement of Quantity Surveying Discipline.
- Previous purchasing (minimum 2 years) experience in a large complex Construction/manufacturing environment and can demonstrate through track record delivery of cost savings and value.
- Good working knowledge and skills of MS office tools.
- Deep understanding of cost drivers on contracts in order to demonstrate transparency and overall value.
- Strong financial awareness of cost drivers within the services supply chain.
- Good working understanding of quality standards, legislation and NAECI would be an advantage.
- Able to work and communicate effectively at all levels across the businesses.
- Expert, advanced negotiation skills and techniques.
- Maximo and SAP experience a distinct advantage.
- NEC Contract Experience is a requirement.
- Previous experience in a similar environment would be an advantage.